Dinner :: Chicken Burgers with Roasted Poblano and Onion

I'm from the Midwest, which automatically means I love red meat. Unfortunately, now that I'm getting a little older and my metabolism is slowing down, I actually need to start watching what I eat a little. So I've been looking for ways to substitute chicken for ground beef whenever possible, and I found this recipe that looked simple and yummy.

Unfortunately, I could not track down a poblano chile the day I needed to cook this, so I just used a jalapeno instead. Also, Martha Stewart recommends eating these burgers with "watermelon and cucumber, plus lime wedges dipped in a mix of ancho chile powder and salt." Yeah, I just made generic frozen tator tots.

Chicken Burger with Roasted Poblano and Onion
Recipe courtesy of the July/August 2009 issue of Everyday Food

Over a low gas flame or under the broiler, roast poblano chile until charred, about 6 minutes, turning frequently. Place in a bowl and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let chile steam for 20 minutes, then rub with a paper towel to remove skin. Remove stem and seeds. Slice chile into 2-inch strips and return to bowl.

In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add 1 large white onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add onion to bowl with chile and stir to combine.

Form 1.25 lbs ground chicken breast into four 4-inch-wide patties and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high. Add 2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat. Working in batches, cook burgers 2 minutes. Flip, top each with slice of sharp yellow cheddar, and cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes more.

Meanwhile, heat broiler. Butter inside of whole-wheat burger buns and place on a baking sheet, buttered side up. Toast under broiler. Place burgers on buns and top with onion and chile mixture.



1 comment:

  1. This was a delicious dinner. Even though I put salad dressing on my burger when I thought it was BBQ sauce. The chocolate covered blueberries were good too even though we didn't make them.

    ReplyDelete