Dinner :: Stuffed Peppers

Google "budget recipes" and every resulting website will have a recipe for stuffed peppers. Trust me - I've been without a job for almost a month now, so I'm very familiar with all internet searches that include the word "budget." Examples include budget haircuts, budget date nights, budget fashion, budget cable bills, which is a particularly interesting one: sign up for 12-month bundle deals that are only available to first-time customers, then just change cable providers every year. Voila!

I've copied the recipe verbatim, but I would recommend changing two small things. First, I'd use 4 peppers rather than six; and second, I'd cook the rice in the skillet for at least 20 minutes. Also, I have no idea what "blanching" means, so I just skipped that step.

Stuffed Peppers
Recipe courtesy of the First United Methodist Church of St. Charles Cookbook

Blanche 6 lg. whole green peppers, seeds removed in boiling water and set upright in a baking dish. Brown 1 lb. ground beef and 1/3 c. chopped onion until done. Add 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, 1 (16-0z) can diced tomatoes, 1/2 c. water and 1/2 c. uncooked rice. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until rice is tender. Add 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1 c. shredded American cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Put the beef and rice mixture in the pepper cups. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment